Welcome To My Green Pasture....

It is a place of quiet rest that I have found when I am writing. I hope that someone will find my musings helpful in some way.
Psalm 23:2 "He makes me lie down in green pastures, he leads me beside quiet waters, he restoreth my soul."


My Green Pasture....

Saturday, May 28, 2011

Your Picnic Wasn't Free


Here it is once again...Memorial Day Weekend. Our town is overloaded with RV's and tourists from everywhere as the big opening of the summer season is here. Campgrounds in the Northwoods are packed...in spite of the rainy weather! As we drove past a few on our way home from Ashland yesterday we couldn't help but notice the many campers and out of state plates all over our little town. As I stood in line to purchase a few items....I glanced around me and observed what everyone was buying. There was the charcoal, lighter fluid, marshmallows, paper plates, pop, watermelon....all of the fixings for picnics. I thought to myself..."I guess this really is a big weekend for cookouts!" Then I glanced over to an older man with a rather sad countenance...when I noticed what was in his hands...I knew why. He was holding two memorial wreaths. He obviously was going to place them on someone's grave. Perhaps a loved one he had lost to a war long ago or maybe even recently. It made me think. Memorial Day for many is a very hard day. It means a time to remember the great courage and sacrifice that some Mother's son made ....it means that some Father no longer has his son or daughter...or a wife and children no longer have their husband and Dad. Freedom is costly. Your fun picnic cost someone their life....not to rain on your parade....go have your fun picnic, don't get me wrong, but don't forget that Memorial Day we should remember all those who have given of their lives so that you can freely enjoy it. May we never take our freedom for granted.


No comments:

Post a Comment

my prayer

my prayer
Bookmark and Share