Welcome To My Green Pasture....

It is a place of quiet rest that I have found when I am writing. I hope that someone will find my musings helpful in some way.
Psalm 23:2 "He makes me lie down in green pastures, he leads me beside quiet waters, he restoreth my soul."


My Green Pasture....

Thursday, May 26, 2011

The Rusty Old Wash Tub

It was actually warm enough the other day for me ..... a miracle! I took a little walk around the yard to inspect for signs of Spring sticking around! I am still nervous that we are going to get snow even though it is the end of May! Don't laugh! It can happen here! In the back of one of the bushes sits this old rusty wash tub. A ringer washer! Maybe some of you who are a bit older than I am think that I would have no idea about this, however I do! You see, my first recollection of one of these "monsters" as I remember it was helping my mom. I am the youngest in the family. I have one sister who is three years older, and a brother who is six years older; so they both went off to school while I stayed home and helped my mom...at least as much as possible for a preschooler! I still remember how loud this "monster" was as it swished around washing the clothes. It also seemed like it took forever to wash one load! There was a black rubber hose on it that would drain the water out when the wash was done, however there was always a lot of water left and that's what the ringer on top was for.  My mom would dump all of the clothes into the laundry basket, and one by one I would help hand her a piece of clothing to go through the ringer. I remember her telling me to be careful not to put my fingers too close to the ringer or they would get stuck... I did come pretty close a few times, but never really got hurt, thankfully. This rusty old wash tub sitting out in our field was at one time used by my husband's Grandma and I am sure in the summertime when he came for his annual visit he had to help her in the same way...and then help carry the basket of clothes down to the clothesline. It struck me as I stood there taking the picture of this old weary washing machine that had seen better days......it was brand new once. It was sparkling, shiny and ran like a charm.....but now here it sits, all rusty, weeds growing all around it,and useless. Everything is new once...but then as time goes by, things breakdown, wear out, and rust! Then it ends up in some one's field! Makes me think...what is really important in this life anyway? All of the stuff  I can accumulate? It will all end up in a heap on some one's junk pile eventually! Life is way too short ...I need to focus on the things that truly matter.                                                                                          "Lay not up for yourselves treasures upon earth where moth and rust doth corrupt , and where thieves break through and steal, but lay up for yourselves treasures in Heaven where moth and rust doth not corrupt and thieves do not break through and steal. For where your treasure is there will your heart be also."~ Matthew 6:19-21


No comments:

Post a Comment

my prayer

my prayer
Bookmark and Share