Welcome To My Green Pasture....

It is a place of quiet rest that I have found when I am writing. I hope that someone will find my musings helpful in some way.
Psalm 23:2 "He makes me lie down in green pastures, he leads me beside quiet waters, he restoreth my soul."


My Green Pasture....

Saturday, February 5, 2011

My Favorite Place

West Quoddy Lighthouse holds special memories for me. Every summer we would pack up the car and head to Lubec,Maine. You see, both sets of grandparents called it their home. My Mom and Dad both grew up in this coastal fishing town. They met on the back of a pickup truck, picking cabbage for a local cabbage grower. They fell in love and love became marriage and out came three kids. This lighthouse is at the very end of South Lubec Road which is a very long country road. My Dad's parents had a farmhouse on this very road and that is where we would visit each summer while we were growing up. I can still remember the feeling as we turned onto South Lubec road after a very, very, long road trip from Connecticut with our dog and cat along in the back seat with us three kids. There were some pretty hectic times but as I think back on them, wish I could go back and experience it yet once more! As we drove down old South Lubec Road , we would look to the left for the long worn lane that led to my granpa's old  farmhouse. That lane seemed to me as a kid like it was the longest lane I had ever seen,with the grass growing up in the middle and the fields on both sides higher than the car. As we drove down the lane, I would always look to the right for the landmark apple trees that stood so proudly out in the field; then to the left was the old worn farmhouse that had been full of  life once, and had many stories to tell. Beyond the house, more fields which were filled with raspberry bushes growing wildly; then, the majestic ocean! I can still smell the distinct salty air and hear the squawking seagulls hovering around searching for fish. This scene left a magical impression on me and I fell in love with this place! We would take many drives down to the lighthouse just to walk around and listen to the foghorn. My Mom's parents lived in town which really isn't all that far from South Lubec really, so we would go back and forth between the two, visiting, and of course oodles of cousins were there to play with. One of the favorite things to do was to go down to the beach when the tide was out and dig for clams;. also we looked for sea glass. I still have a collection of sea glass that I cherish. I haven't been back to Lubec in several years, at least not in my body, but I have gone there many times in my mind and it is the most enjoyable place that I have ever been! I was reminded of this once again as I was choosing my status this morning for my facebook page. I often use quotes from Status Shuffle. Today I happened to see this one:"Life is like the ebb and flow of the tides...there are highs and there are lows. What we have to remember is that during the low tide you find the best sea shells."

No comments:

Post a Comment

my prayer

my prayer
Bookmark and Share