Welcome To My Green Pasture....

It is a place of quiet rest that I have found when I am writing. I hope that someone will find my musings helpful in some way.
Psalm 23:2 "He makes me lie down in green pastures, he leads me beside quiet waters, he restoreth my soul."


My Green Pasture....

Monday, March 7, 2011

The Old Outhouse

How many people do you know that still have an outhouse in their backyard in 2011?  Well, I do! It was built by my husband's grandpa when he and his wife first moved here to the Northwoods of Wisconsin back in the early 1930's. From what I am told, there was already an outhouse here but apparently was not to the liking of Grandpa, so he built his own. This is no ordinary outhouse mind you. It has accommodations for four! It has two adult sized holes and two children sized holes. I am not positive as to the why it was built this way; I really don't think they made this a "family affair". My theory is....Grandpa was probably a bit particular about anyone else sitting upon his " royal throne" so decided he would make other holes for the other family members, so they would not have to share his. I don't know...I suppose that is a good question for one of  his children the next time one pops in for a visit to see the old homestead, as they often have.




You  can see how far away  from the house this is...Yikes! It is quite a hike if you had to go really bad and if the temperature was anything like what we have been having  this winter! Not to mention, trudging through the snow, besides! In case any of you are wondering....yes, we do have two modern, indoor bathrooms with flushing toilets!! We put them in shortly after moving here ourselves  about eight years ago.  Sometimes I find it is refreshing to take a quick glimpse back at the past  every now and again. Although it is true, we don't want to dwell on the past for too long, we do need every once in awhile to look at it in new appreciation of  the progress we have made both personally, and spiritually...hopefully we are making some progress. Hopefully I can say I am better as a person today than yesterday. I sure am glad that my bathroom is a better place to be than that old outhouse on a cold winter day! Remember...no matter how bad things seem to be...you can always find something to be thankful for!                                                                                       
                                              Psalm107:1 "Give thanks to the Lord for He is good...."







No comments:

Post a Comment

my prayer

my prayer
Bookmark and Share